Lehigh Valley's West 27th Street Yard 1901 - 1966
1900: Yard Design by Lehigh Valley’s Chief Engineer Walter G. Berg.
1901: Construction Begins.
1905: Yard Opens for service
From the Western Railroad Club Official Proceeding for the year 1901 Page 132 available on Google Books.
Scanned from George Bromley 1914 map of 27th Street. Note: Street tracks missing connection to Terminal Stores and the B&O at 26th Street.
1929: Lehigh Valley enters partnership with the Starrett Brothers (The Starrett Investment Corporation) to build a twenty story manufacturing center above the yard. The firm of Cory & Cory; Yasuro engaged to design an “International Style” building.
1930: Construction Begins
1931: June 30th, Fire hits the construction site. December 6th, Yard and the Starrett-Lehigh open for business. Lehigh Valley pays eight million. Photo By Berenice Abbott March 1st, 1938
1944: November 13th, Lehigh Valley sells both the Starrett-Lehigh and the Bronx Terminal.
1962: The Pennsylvania Railroad petitions the ICC for complete control of the LVRR.
1965: Last published map showing 27th Street in operation.
1966: Operations Terminate at 27th Street (New York Time May 31, 1998)
1974: August 21st, Sold to Harry Helmsley in a foreclosure sale for two point two-one million dollars.
1986: Designated as a landmark.
1998: Sold for one hundred and fifty two million and a one hundred million in renovations applied.
2011: April the Starrett-Lehigh sold for nine hundred million.